Help Center
Click to Home
Go To Search
Daniel Is. & Cainhoy Info
Every year, we receive applications from property owners in the Cainhoy area of Berkeley County requesting to be annexed into the City jurisdiction.  This area includes Saint Thomas Island.

Related Links

To incorporate a home into the City of Charleston,the property must be:
1) contiguous or "touching" the city limits
2) located on the City side of the Urban Growth Boundary
3) approved by the City Council

Annexation is free. Eligible homeowners simply fill out an application and submit it to the City of Charleston Planning Division at the address listed on the form. Next, your application is read by City Council and the Planning Commission for approval. Once approved, we will send you a welcome letter and brochure of City services. We will contact your service providers (i.e. CWS, Fire, Police, Trash, etc) for you.

Frequently Asked Questions

What does "annexation" mean?  Annexation means incorporating your property into City limits.  It is the process of transferring parcels of land from unincorporated areas of a county into the service area and jurisdiction of a city. Properties brought into the City receive City garbage pickup, emergency services, public services and much more.